Leadership Center and TLMI Overview
Effective leadership is a key component to the success of any organization!
Our Leadership Center is your “one-stop-shop” to access information on a variety of TORCH Leadership & Management Institute (TLMI) events, training, education, networking opportunities and other valuable resources that can help hone your leadership skills and improve your overall job performance.
The TORCH Leadership & Management Institute (TLMI) provides effective leadership and management training to promote the professional and personal development of healthcare executives and emerging leaders in rural and community hospitals in Texas.
TLMI was built on the principle that to succeed and remainsuccessful, hospitals must continually engage and invest in organizational development to cultivate the talents of their most important asset—their staff.
TLMI’s program offers unique onsite and distance education on an array of professional development and personal growth topics for rural hospital staff and TLMI participants, leadership mentoring opportunities for students aspiring to enter the healthcare field, as well as a fellowship program for healthcare professionals and emerging leaders at TORCH hospitals. Key events, components and benefits of our program include:
The TORCH Leadership & Management Institute (TLMI) Annual Conference & Retreat
Scheduled each year in September, this is TLMI's premier annual education and training event that focuses on professional and personal development, and allows participants to learn from and network with peers, industry professionals and healthcare leaders. This event is beneficial for all hospital staff levels (including executives, directors, managers and professional staff), as well as for students! We encourage all who are interested in improving their leadership skills to join us for this highly rewarding event. The 2013 Retreat will be September 4-5 at the beautiful Omni Houston Hotel – Galleria in Houston. Please check back soon for more information!
Education & Skills Deveopment – enhance performance, knowledge and skills by participating in variousleadership education/training events, workshops and webinars focused on 8 key areas:
• Networking and Relationship-Building
• Leadership Development, Coaching and Mentoring
• Communications and Team Building
• Emotional Intelligence Core Values, Vision and Strategy Execution
• Talent Cultivation and Management
• Performance Excellence and Service-Oriented Culture
• Ethics and Professionalism
(Please note that many activities will offer ACHE Category II continuing education credit)
Mentoring & Coaching – by the TLMI Leadership Council, comprised of healthcare executives, scholars, and industry professionals who share a common passion for leadership development. We are honored to have their insight and participation in our program. For more information, please see this list of TLMI Council Members and their biographical information. (Download Profiles)
Leadership Mentoring & Fellowship Training – Opportunities for students to advance their health care career goals by participating in leadership mentoring internships in rural Texas health care facilities, as well as a fellowship training program designed for current health care professionals aspiring to grow and become rural healthcare leaders.
Our newest opportunity for Graduate and Undergraduate Students is our TORCH Student Shadow Mentoring Initiative. TORCH and the TORCH Foundation, in conjunction with maxIT Healthcare, recently launched the TORCH Meaningful Use Assessment Program for rural hospitals. This program sends an assessment team into participating facilities for a week to evaluate the facility’s IT infrastructure and readiness to meet the demanding Meaningful Use (MU) requirements, and provides a detailed analysis, report and roadmap to help them get where they need to be. In relation to this program, and through TLMI, the Student Shadow Mentoring initiative will allow students to shadow the assessment team for the week, providing students the chance for experiential learning, for exposure to the HOT TOPIC areas of rural health information technology (HIT) and Meaningful Use, to see firsthand the inner-workings and operations of a rural hospital, to network and build relationships with healthcare and corporate consulting professionals, and much more! If you are interested in this opportunity, download the following information/application form.
Student Shadow Mentoring Program Info/Application
TLMI Healthcare Fellowship Info/Application
- Participate in the TORCH Leadership & Management Institute Conference & Retreat, previously reserved for and accessible only to hospital executives and their leadership staff.
- Attend and exhibit at the Texas Critical Access Hospital Conference & Tradeshow.
- Attend and exhibit at the Hospital Information Technology Conference & Tradeshow.
- Sponsors receive two complimentary registrations for each of these conferences. Please contact us for availability. You can also make a donation to the TORCH Foundation Scholarship Fund, which provides various scholarships and stipends for hospital staff and students to support quality leadership education, mentoring and fellowship opportunities.
Publications & Resources
- TLMI Special Publication (Download PDF) - In this document you will find TLMI program information, highlights of our accomplishments, leadership articles and a preview of exciting activities available.
- TLMI’s newsletter provides information on focal professional and personal development topics, features current leaders in rural healthcare and their success stories, highlights helpful tips, offers insight from industry specialists and includes staff reviews of relevant leadership books and publications.
- Illuminations Newsletter by Issue
- TLMI Leadership E-tip #1 – Olympic Coach Mentality
- View our Events Calendar (View)
- TLMI Leadership Awards press release (Download PDF)
- TLMI Fellowship press release (Download PDF)
- Helpful Links (View)
To learn more about the TORCH Leadership & Management Institute, be added to the TLMI
e-mail notification list or for questions, please contact Quang Ngo at (512) 873-0045. Become part of the TLMI experience!